Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Blog Post

January 21, 2014



Blog Post

Over the last couple of weeks, I have really struggled with what to write about. I want this blog to be fun, fresh, and not some political grand stand. The only problem is that the last few things that I’ve given serious consideration to writing about have been politically motivated so I have pushed them aside. I am, by nature, a very opinionated person. Just ask my Momma or anyone who knows me well enough to love me or hate me. Typically my opinions tend to do one of two things; either get people talking to work out a solution to whatever it is that I am opinionated about, or it tends to make people angry and causes lots of drama and I don’t do drama.  I’ve also always enjoyed talking. My Momma can attest to this too, as she got many more than one note sent home when I was in school stating: “Laura is a good student but she talks too much.” But since this blog isn’t actually talking, it’s typing, and it’s a totally one sided conversation, for once in my lifetime, I’ve been at a loss for words. I know that’s very hard to believe.

Today I am home, looking out at the snow flying, and trying to channel my creative juices and get them flowing again. So far today, it’s going fairly well. I’ve just submitted a query to a literary agency for Stephanie and me for one of our projects. We have had two rejections so far; well one official rejection and one no reply rejection, but I understand that even some of the best writers get many rejections before they actually get an agent, much less a contract. I’m trying very hard to stay positive and hopeful on this! One of my favorite parts of a movie – yes, I’m a movie creeper, and this is thoroughly paraphrased – is in Sister Act 2 when Whoopi Goldberg’s character is talking to the young girl that just quit the choir. She gives the girl a book by Rainer Maria Rilke – Letters to a Young Poet. She tells the girl that this young writer keeps writing to Rilke asking that Rilke read his work and tell him if he is a writer or not. Rilke responds to the writer and tells the him that he cannot tell him whether he is a writer or not, but that if the last thing he thinks about before he goes to bed at night and the first thing that he thinks about when he wakes up in the morning is writing, then he’s a writer. Of course Whoopi’s character relates this to singing to the girl she’s talking to, but this scene has stuck with me for many years. I do believe that I am a writer.

You may ask me, Laura, why even bother with it if this is such a struggle? I’ve found in actually doing the writing and trying to make my imagination come to life on paper is actually very fulfilling. It’s fun and exciting to try to create a world that no one else knows about. It’s exciting to create new people that actually become a part of me. Sometimes I struggle with getting the wording right or being able to put what is in my head into written words, but the struggle is sometimes the best challenge of the whole process. Days like today when ideas and thoughts flow from my fingers through a pen or through the keyboard are days that I feel like I’ve really accomplished something. 

So while some posts on this blog will be opinionated, some may chronicle some great event that happened in my life, and others may just be totally random, I have thoroughly enjoyed the creation of each and every one. I’m also learning with them. I’m growing as a writer and finding parts of myself that I didn’t know existed. Hope you’re enjoying and if you have comments or questions, I’d love to hear them!!

All my best!
LS

No comments:

Post a Comment