Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year!!



December 31, 2013

Happy New Year!

As I sit here tonight looking back over 2013, it has been an incredible year. Lots of ups and downs, bumps, curves, hills, valleys, potholes, and interesting obstacles. Several work zones through the year and ones that will even linger into the New Year.  But overall, I guess 2013 has not been too bad.

 I’ve learned a lot this year. As a teacher I can really appreciate that aspect. I had no idea that I’d ever be good with horses, let alone a donkey or a mule. Up till about a year and a half ago, I had never really been around horses. I’ve learned a lot about them this year. I am by no means an expert on the subject. They teach me things every day. Each one has its very own unique personality and each one has its very own quirks. I like watching that. I (along with my husband of course) have spent the last 15 months getting a little colt to where just about anybody can walk up to him, put a halter on him, and touch him. I’ve even got to sit on his back while my husband led us around a round pen! I was lucky enough this year to purchase a five year old gelding that has never been ridden and really hadn’t been messed with much. While he still hasn’t been ridden, I’ve worked with him till he lets me rub all over him. He loves to have his belly scratched and he will let me put a saddle pad on him. I’ve also grown very attached to a donkey that knows what treats are just by my saying the word.  He comes running when it’s feeding time so he can get his treats. He is really the coolest little critter that I’ve ever met in my life, and he is the funniest critter I’ve ever met. I wouldn’t trade that little feller for anything. I’ve also learned that 5 minutes of horse petting after a terrible day at work tends to make all stresses and issues that were bothering me totally melt away. Winston Churchill was 100% on the money when he said “the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.” I whole heartedly believe that after this past year.

In addition to learning about the horses, I’ve learned a lot about me. I’ve learned that I am stronger than I ever thought I was. I can bust my butt for days on end helping my husband bale hay and it feels wonderful to know that I’ve accomplished something like that. I’ve learned that I am a pretty good writer and that this is something that I could really see myself doing. I’ve learned to have a little more faith in myself so that I might accomplish some of the goals and dreams that I have.

So, 2013 brought horses further into my life. 2013 has brought a farm to fruition; we are now Radagast Farms and its slowly growing. 2013 brought out the writer in me and the desire to really pursue this purpose. 2013 has brought a new job for my husband, one that is stable and that he enjoys. 2013 brought the trip of a life time for me aboard the USS George H. W. Bush. I won’t forget that as long as I live. 2013 has brought a lot of smiles and a few tears, but for the most part, 2013 has been good to me – to us. We are all relatively healthy, for that I am extremely thankful. We are not wealthy in a monetary sense, but our cup is running over with emotional wealth. And we have gained a little wisdom as the year has progressed. I have much to be thankful for from the year 2013.

Now I sit here looking at 2014! A brand new year! What to do with it? Where is it going to take me? 

I’m sure I’m not the only one questioning what 2014 has in store for them. It seems that with each New Year, I start the same string of questions and ponder the same prospects. I don’t really make resolutions any more. Sometimes my intentions are wonderful and full of vim and vigor, but my follow through really stinks, so I don’t force any resolutions that I know I’ll let go of in a couple of weeks.

For me, for 2014, I do intend to pursue my writing. This blog has been a wonderful outlet so far and I look forward to where this will lead.  My Co-author and I have 2 books under way together and we each have some independent projects going. My goal for 2014 is to finish them. I would love to see one or all of them picked up by a publisher but for starters for me, I want to see them finished. This year I want to get our barn finished and a nice round pen fixed so that I can really work with the animals in a true and proper place. I want to be able to ride the two horses that we have that have never been ridden and start training them both. I want to have a little spot in the barn to work on some wood projects. I also want to work on me. Work on patience (something I always struggle with), kindness (toward others, sometimes struggle with this too), and work on seeing things positively – realistically, but still positive. I hope to find more of the good in the world and in all things that I’m involved in. I hope to cut away the negative stuff that tends to drag me down. 

Right now, it’s still a couple of hours till the New Year arrives and right now the possibilities for what it holds are absolutely endless! So, with that, I say 2013; thank you for all that you brought my way. 2014, bring it on, I’m ready!!

Thank you all for reading! I hope that each and every one of you have a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment